Bottling…almost. Continued from last week.
– By Sofia –
My hubby finally agreed to come with me to the wine shop to look at all the gadgets I don’t already have. He decided to purchase a second carboy, so our grandson or son will have to lift the carboy one time less in this wine-making process. My hubby also asked the owner of the wine shop if there is an electric pump we could purchase, to which the owner stated, “yes”, but it has to be ordered. It would take a couple of weeks for the “food-grade” pump to get here. That is on our “next month purchase” list.
Wine labels were picked out by my hubby. I picked out the foils for the bottles and, of course, the gadget to hold the foils in place…while dipping the bottle with the foil in hot water…which helps shrink the foils in place on the bottles. Incredible! My hubby really had fun looking at all the many interesting items in this wine shop.
On another note, the wine shop owner asked how the wine making is coming along. I told him that four days ago I added the “fining agent packets” to the wine and that my hubby whipped the wine very well with the hand-held drill. Now the wine is resting for the last ten days. And then “to bottle”! I am looking forward to that!
|Mama Winemaker siphoning wine from one carboy to the other in preparation for bottling.|
I also told the shop owner that I can now see the layer of sediment on the bottom of the carboy. He stated that before bottling, I should siphon the wine into the second carboy, keeping the siphon only half-way in the first carboy, pump a couple times to get the siphon started…all while being careful not to siphon the sediment layer on the bottom of the first carboy. Then bottle from the second carboy, after lifting the second full carboy back on top of the table.
I guess we better place the order for that pump because the full carboys are heavy. The pump should be here in time for my next Wine Kit.
On the 14th day, I followed step four, and checked the wine for clarity. My hubby came downstairs with me carrying his flashlight. I took a sanitized wine glass with me, too. Then with the sanitized ‘wine-thief’, drew some wine from the carboy and released the wine into the wine glass. My hubby shone the flashlight into the wine glass from the side. We looked at the wine glass from the front, and could not see the beam of light go through the wine glass, which meant that the wine was “clear”! If the wine was not clear, the beam of the flashlight would be seen reflecting from the gas bubbles trapped in the wine. Is that not amazing information?
So, my first batch of wine was clear! Fantastic! This meant that the wine was ready for bottling. But…we decided to wait another day so our strong grandson could help. When he saw the floor-standing corking apparatus in the basement, he right away asked if he could help with the corking of the wine bottles. He really likes the funky, red cast-iron, bottle-corking apparatus.
As the wine bottling would be done the next evening, this meant that the 30 wine bottles had to be sanitized this evening because I had to go to work the next day. I put on my latex gloves and washed the 30 green wine bottles in the sanitizing solution, while my hubby rinsed the bottles well and placed the bottles up-side down onto the bottom dishwasher rack to drain over-night.
Then we practiced how to use the Bottle Filling gadget in conjunction with the Siphon Gadget, in preparation for the up-coming bottling event. Amazingly, the bottle filler automatically stopped filling the wine bottle about two inches from the top, to allow room for the cork. Perfect!
***To Be Continued Next Week.***